Prep was introduced into Queensland schools in 2007. From 2017, Queensland
children are required to undertake Prep prior to Year 1. Prep is a full-time
program that children attend from Monday to Friday during normal school hours.
Children must be aged 5 years by 30 June in the year they start Prep.
Prep is the start of the early stage of learning which continues until Year
2. It is available in all Queensland state schools and most non-state schools
offering a primary program.
Prep is part of the whole school. Classrooms and other facilities are located
in school grounds.
Prep provides the foundation for your child's success at school by
- the knowledge, understanding and skills detailed in the Australian
Curriculum for English, Mathematics, Science and History (Foundation Year)
- a positive approach to learning
- independence and confidence
- creativity and problem-solving skills
- physical abilities, including gross and fine motor skills.
In Prep, teachers support children's learning by making connections between
school and their experiences at home, kindergarten or childcare.
Prep students are taught the Foundation Year of the
for English, mathematics,
science, history and geography and the remaining Queensland curriculum in 2014
Learning in Prep
In Prep, your child will have opportunities to learn in many different ways.
This includes active learning such as play-based and enquiry-based approaches.
They make decisions, solve problems, develop thinking skills, collaborate,
communicate and develop a positive sense of self.
Children learn about:
- speaking, listening, reading and writing
- mathematics and problem solving
- science, exploring interesting and important questions about the biological,
physical and technological world
- history, beginning to examine and enquire about the past to develop
curiosity and imagination.
Prep children also learn about:
- negotiating rights, roles and responsibilities and developing social skills
for working and playing with others
- diverse social and cultural practices of people in their community
- making healthy choices
- experimenting with materials in a variety of creative, imaginative and
- technology in everyday life
- music and movement.
Age is only the criterion for enrolment in the Prep Year for Queensland children. Your child must be five by the 30th June in the year they enrol in Prep. To find out when your child is eligible to enrol in the Prep year, see the table below.
|Child born 1st July 2017 to June 30th 2018|||
|Child born 1st July 2018 to June 30th 2019|||
|Child born 1st July 2019 to June 30th 2020 |||||
|Child born 1st July 2020 to June 30th 2021|||||||