Students in Year 5 have the opportunity to nominate to become a Senior Leader during Term Three each year. The Senior Leader stage in the leadership process is for students to identify earlier in the year that they are interested in a leadership position for the following year.
As a Senior Leader students will be provided with opportunities during Term Three and Four to develop and demonstrate their leadership capabilities rather than refer to "what they might do" in their interview and speech.
During Term 3:
- Students complete applications to become a Senior Leader.
- Student Agreement to expectations of leaders.
- Parent Endorsement to acknowledge the expectation of leadership.
- Classroom teacher and 2 specialist teacher endorsement to acknowledge that a student's behaviour and effort are acceptable for leadership.
- Senior Leader applicants will participate in Leadership development.
Students need to have completed the Senior Leader Application in Term Three before they can participate in the leadership program in Term 4. This application MUST be signed off by a parent, a classroom teacher and a specialist teachers.
We believe that students are able to choose their behaviour and if the teacher endorsement is not given straight away due to concerns around a student's behaviour and effort, students are given the opportunity to adjust their behaviour and effort during the term and be given endorsement toweards the end of the term if the identifies concerns have been addressed by the student.
During Term 4:
- Senior Leaders participate in leadership development.
- Students submit their application for House and School Captain positions.
- Students prepare and participate in an interview with staff and P&C representatives.
- Students develop and deliver their speeches.
Students participating in the leadership selection process will be assessed against the following criteria:
- Behaviour and effort in their semester 1 report card.
- Their written application.
- Their interview.
- Staff endorsement.
- Their speech to their peers.
Students will have benchmarks that they will be expected to meet and those who do not attain the requirements of each criteria will not progress to the next criteria.
An information session for parents around the leadership process will be held during term 3.