The School Captain selection process usually commences in October each year, with the announcement of the new School Captains occuring in December.
Before the selection process commences, students in Year 5 are addressed with regards to the roles and responsibilities of a School Captain.
The selection process is as follows:
- Written nominations are made by school staff and year 5 students. Only current Senior Leaders are eligible to be nominated for a school leadership role.
- Nominees are then asked to write a selection criteria such as:
- School Vision
- Role of the School Captain
- Positive characteristics of Glass House Mountains State School
- Qualities that make a good leader
- Each criteria sheet must include the name and signature of at least 1 staff member as referee. These referees must not be the student's class teacher.
- Year 5 Teachers and current school captains shortlist nominees after reading each application and will check references if required.
- Nominees present a speech to Year 4 and 5 students as well as the current Student Council. All nominated students will be considered for a Student Council position.
- A Secret Ballot is held of Staff, Year 4 and 5 students and current Student Council to shortlist students who will continue on to the interview stage.
- The interview panel is made up of the Principal, P&C President, a current Year 6 teacher and a teacher aide.
- The announcement of the new School Captains is made at the end of year Concert & Awards Night.
School Captain's Oath
I pledge that I will:
- Represent and serve my fellow students and set an example in all aspects of school life
- Uphold the school's rules and expectations
- Encourage all students to follow the school's rules and expectations - I am Respectful, I am Safe, I am an Active Learner
- Demonstrate and encourage pride in our school
- Achieve quality academic and personal excellence